Wednesday 17 April 2013

Chocolate Chip and Popcorn Cookies

The instant I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it.  Popcorn in a chocolate chip cookie?
Say whaaaat!? OK, let's do it!  I learned a few things, which I will pass on to you.... I used sweet and salty store-bought popcorn and semi-sweet chocolate chips - I think buttered popcorn would be better, and use dark chocolate like Joy suggests.  While mine were definitely interesting and tasty, I think the combination of those two flavours would bump this cookie up a couple more notches.


Chocolate Chip and Popcorn Cookies
originally from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook


1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
4 cups popped popcorn

Cream butter and both sugars.  Beat in egg and vanilla.
Add in flour, baking soda, and salt, and beat until incorporated.
Fold in popcorn, 2 cups at a time - at first it will look ridiculous, but don't worry, the popcorn breaks down into smaller pieces, making it easier to blend.  Mix in chocolate chips.

Spoon dough onto baking sheet - balls should be about a tablespoon and a half each.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.  9 minutes if you prefer softer, almost doughy cookies.
Makes about 24 cookies.










1 comment:

  1. Woot!  Three of my favorites in this recipe, chocolate, popcorn and cookie. The 3 main food groups. He he!

    ReplyDelete