Monday 10 June 2013

Simple Sour Cream Scones

Hello....it's been a while....
I was out sick with a nasty cold and then off travelling (London, Amsterdam, Bruges!) and I now I am finally back to feeling normal - and back to feeling like baking again.  I have a bunch of ideas up my sleeve from my travels - but first things first. Did I ever mention that I love jam?  All kinds of jam, every kind of jam....this past weekend we were in Niagara-on-the-Lake and I stopped at Greaves and picked up some Cherry jam.  I fell in love with Cherry jam while travelling in the Middle East a decade ago...but that is a story for another day.  

Cherry jam deserves fresh home baked scones....and these are the best I have ever made.  Light and fluffy interior - crisp crunchy exterior, and absolutely freaking delicious with a smear of jam....


Simple Sour Cream Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp white sugar
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.  Add in cubed cold butter and break it up and mix it with your hands until butter bits are the size of pebbles and coated in flour.  Add in sour cream and milk and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.  Form dough into ball and place on floured wax paper.   Knead dough slightly (the less you touch the dough, the better) and pat down into large oval disc, kneading into about 1/2 inch thick.

Place dough onto baking sheet and divide like a pizza, into 8-10 triangles, depending on how large you like your scones.  Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment