Sunday 18 November 2012

Butterscotch Squares

Sweet nostalgia....coming home after a day at school, walking into the house and dropping your backpack and jacket on the floor, kicking off your shoes...running into the warm kitchen where a pan of these babies were still warm out of the oven.  I am so fortunate that I grew up in a household where Mum was always home, and there were almost always home-baked goodies like this to dig into after a tough day at school.  Hey Mum....I have a confession.....I didn't eat my sandwich...or my apple....but I definitely ate my home baked cookies/squares/muffin....but I bet you already knew that. And I know that we always whined about not having the fruit roll-up/packaged brownie with icing/other preservative packed garbage the other kids brought to school.....hey Mum?  Thanks.   

I feel like a kid again when I eat these squares - light and crisp meringue crust on top, gooey butterscotch middle, and shortbread-like crust. 



Butterscotch Squares

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour minus 3 tbsp*
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 egg yolks

Sift together flour, baking powder,and sugar. Cut in butter and break up with your fingers until butter bits are  like coarse crumbs. Stir in slightly beaten egg yolks and pat mixture in a greased 8 x 8 inch pan.

Topping
2 egg whites beaten stiff
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut**

Beat egg whites until stiff.  Add sugar to beaten egg whites gradually, continuing to beat. Fold in coconut and spread over crumbs. Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes.

*original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups cake and pastry flour
**original recipe calls for 1 cup flour and/or 1 cup walnuts. I suggest adding to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment